yelverton guest house
yelverton guest house, dartmoor hotel, short breaks yelverton, disabled holidays yelverton, hotels, guest houses yelverton, national trust properties, yelverton holiday guest house
Yelverton is a large village on the south western edge of Dartmoor, Devon, in England.
The construction of the railway line, and Yelverton railway station, during the 19th century meant that it became a popular residence for Plymouth commuters - the line was run by the Great Western Railway (GWR). The line is now closed, but the Plym Valley Railway has reopened a section of it.
Yelverton is well known for "the rock" - a large visible mass of stone close to the Plymouth road on the fringe of nearby Roborough Down. It gave its name to the Rock Hotel, built as a farm during the Elizabethan period, but converted in the 1850s to cater for growing tourism in the area. The area to the south and west of the roundabout which everyone regards as the centre of the village was settled in late Victorian and Edwardian times resulting the building in many grand and opulent villas. An area developed at about the same time on an odd shaped piece of land to the south of the Tavistock road is known to all as Leg o' Mutton Corner.
At the beginning of the Second World War, a large airfield was constructed at adjacent Harrabeer as a fighter station for the air defence of Devonport Dockyard and the Western Approaches. A 19th century terrace of houses, then mostly converted into shops, had to have its upper storey removed to provide an easier approach. One tall building which was not altered was Yelverton Church, but unfortunately the tower was hit by a plane, resulting in a warning light being fitted. The layout of the runways are still very clear and although these are substantially grassed over the many earth and brick protective bunkers built to protect the fighters from attack on the ground, are all still in place. Many American airman and anti-aircraft battery units were stationed here during the second half of the war.
To the south of the village is located Langton Park, home of Yelverton Bohemians Cricket Club and about 0.5 km south is the accurately named Moorland Links Hotel serving the Yelverton Golf Club where most of the holes run well down the open moorland to the east.
Mining became such an important part of life in the region that as early as the 12th century, tin miners developed their own set of laws (stannary laws) and, ultimately, their own parliaments (Stannary Parliaments). These laws applied to anyone involved in the industry.
Stannaries were established in Tavistock, Ashburton and Chagford by King Edward I in 1305. Plympton followed soon after. The Devon stannary parliament met in an open air forum at Crockern Tor from 1494.
Anyone who broke a stannary law could find himself imprisoned in the gaol at Lydford. The stannary courts were abolished in 1836.
The earliest means of recovery, known as streaming or streamworking, involved the collection of alluvial deposits from river and stream beds where they had accumulated after being eroded from the ore-bearing lodes. The geological processes that resulted in the deposition of the cassiterite in the stream beds often resulted in very pure tin gravel which was mixed with gravels of other, unwanted, minerals such as quartz, mica and feldspar, collectively known an "gangue". It was relatively easy to separate these minerals on the basis of their very different specific gravities cassiterite about 7 and gangue 3 or less. The separation was performed by passing a stream of water over the gravels: the gangue would be washed away faster than the wanted tin gravel.
Once a tin-bearing valley had been identified, the stream-workers would arrange a stream of water, probably carried by a leat from higher up the valley, and starting at the lowest end of the deposit they would dig a trench (known as the "tye") as deep as possible to allow the finer gangue to be washed away.
www.overcombehotel.co.uk yelverton guest house